Thursday, March 24, 2016

40th ride of 2016 - Thursday, March 24, 2016

This morning, the weather did, indeed, permit me to ride outside, as I hoped. I rode in a cold (45 degrees) light rain. The rain was not particularly bothersome except for the way it rendered my glasses virtually useless. I'd take out my handkerchief and swab them, but within a couple of minutes they'd be obscured once more by fogging and water drops. Finally, for the last couple miles, I slid them down to the tip of my nose and peered over the top. This was NOT an ideal solution for one whose nearsightedness is as severe as mine, but it was quite feasible for an off-road ride on a route I know so well.

I decided to settle for a second straight day of doing consecutive round trips to Marsh Park. This decision was sealed during the second round trip when I awakened to the fact that spray from the trail had completely soaked my gloves and my hands were two blocks of ice. I did the 18.0 miles in an hour and 58 minutes, running my mileage for the year to over 462 miles (an average of less than 6 miles a day). This is a disconcerting total, but there have been an awful lot of days when I couldn't ride due to mechanical issues, weather, or our trip to Jamaica. I am hoping (?) that the bulk of such days for 2016 are now behind me.

No comments:

Post a Comment