Wednesday, March 9, 2016

30th ride of 2016 - 3/9/2016

When I went out to ride at 1:00 p.m. today, it was 70°—a marked contrast from the 31° in which I rode last Friday! Despite the glorious warmth, though, I decided to ride only a single round trip to Marsh Park, completing the 10 miles in 1 hour and 4 minutes. Two factors went into this decision. One was the healthy wind that was buffeting me at 15 mph with higher gusts. The second and more important factor, though, was the fact that I have been making good progress today on a new handbell arrangement today, and during the early part of the ride I got ideas of where I want to go with it from here, so I was eager to get back home and begin to work those out.

I did, however, experience the joy of figuring out the problem that bedeviled me yesterday. With the help of a suggestion from my friend Doug Tidd, I discovered that the front derailleur had not completely engaged one of the gears, but was kind of "in between" two of them, and this was causing the rattling of the chain that so unnerved me. With that taken care of, the noise was totally absent once more.

No comments:

Post a Comment